Wednesday, December 23, 2009

"They tried to kill me" - the escalation of violence and repression in Honduras continues



With Nectaly Rodezno


by Giorgio Trucchi - Rel-IUF


The coordinator of the Front of Attorneys Against the Coup ,Nectali Rodezno,denounced Sirel he underwent an assassination attempt, fortunately foiled by the intervention of citizens who managed to stop the murderous hand of a right-wing National Party activist, directly linked to the mayor Tegucigalpa,Ricardo Antonio Alvarez and the candidate for deputy, Ramón Blas, both staunch defenders of the coup.


 the wave of violence and repression against members of the Resistance in Honduras continues. During the last week, several human rights organizations in the country have denounced the disappearance of young Abner Hernandez-member of the  Disciplinary Committee of the Resistance, who was last seen together withWalter Tróchez, human rights defender assassinated on  December 13th- by Carlos Turcios Maldonado-vice president of the resistance movement of Choloma, Department of Cortez, and murdered in Tegucigalpa with a gunshot to the head Karen Jessenia Hernandez Mondragon, wife of a member of the Resistance. 


Furthermore, masked men wearing the uniform of the General Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DGIC) detained and kidnapped Osman Aléxis and Mario René Flores Ulloa Ayala Hernandez, peasant leaders both belonging to the Unified Movement of Peasants Aguán (MUCA), who recently along with more than 500 families, recovered 800 hectares of state land benefited by Decree 18-2008, an initiative that seeks a solution to the issue of agricultural dwelling. 


The land claimed by the MUCA is currently held by landowners Miguel Facussé Barjumand René Morales  , the latter leading producer of African palm in Honduras. 


According to the newly formed Committee on Prisoners, Persecuted and Political Exiles of the coup, there are more than 130 people with lawsuits, including five still in custody, over 100 with alternatives to prison and more than 30 in exile .


The last episode is reported assassination attempt against the coordinator of the Front of Lawyers Against the Coup, Nectali Rodezno. Sireltalked to him to know what happened and to make a point on the situation on the wave of repression that has rammed Honduras.


- What happened on  December15th? 
"I walked to my car and  was on my way to  my house in a place where taxis are parked. It was then that Pedro Gomez, National Party activist, vice president of the Association of Taxi Interdepartmental Points of Honduras and close friend of the mayor of the capital, Ricardo Antonio Alvarez, and candidate for deputy Blas Ramos, recognized me and began to insult me because of being of the Resistance.


Suddenlya taxi in the street blocked my way  to not let me through and Pedro Gomez approached my vehicle, he hit me on  the face and pulled a revolver to shoot.


Fortunately other taxi drivers intervened and blocked it, while I took advantage of the confusion to get out of my  car and head towards policemen who were nearby. The police intervened and arrested him. Gomez, however, immediately called the Mayor and when I arrived at the police station found the candidate for deputy Blas Ramos talking with prosecutors to have him released. And he did. Virtually rejected the accusation of attempted murder and was only referred to the courts for illegal carrying of weapons. I have no doubt that in the initial hearing will be definitively dismissed Gomez.


- How do you evaluate this episode?
"It's part of a real offensive against the Resistance, and they are using the same methodology of the '80s. The day Walter Tróchez was murdered   many bodies throughout the city appeared, and this is exactly as it was in those years, ie, killed common criminals  to assassinate members of popular movements, disguising these political murders as if they were criminal cases. They want the people to  become accustomed to these facts, to not realize that it is exerting a systematic repression against members of the Resistance. 


"After this episode, are you taking some measure of security?
"Everybody knows me and knows where I live. I thought it is better to not hide or fail to do my job because that is how I survive with my family. Also, for me the work that led me to the front of Lawyers Against the Coup is fundamental and I can not give up that fight. However, if something happened to me I blame this coup system and   the Mayor Ricardo Antonio Alvarez, who has made real persecution squads  against members of the Resistance. 




No comments:

Post a Comment