Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Amnesty International calls to bring human rights violators to justice



share

Revistazo.com [see note]
With tear gas, rubber bullets, wooden and live , in a press conference, the Amnesty Commission-AI-, requested an independent investigation to ensure that all perpetrators of human rights abuses will be brought to justice and reparations victims.

Tegucigalpa, Honduras. - Javier Zuniga, head of the AI delegation showed tear gas, rubber bullets, wooden bullets and live to members of the press and present at a press conference, that have been used since 28 June against those who have spoken on the streets.
Zuniga questioned the helplessness of the population using gravity generated by the absence of institutions that safeguard and defend their human rights
"There are dozens of people in Honduras who are still suffering the effects of abuse in the past five months. If you do not punish those responsible and reform a system that does not work, they would be opening the door for further abuses in the future, "he said in a press release that was read at the event.
Zuniga, Esther Major, research and June Holmes, formed the delegation which documented human rights violations that have occurred since the defenestrate through a coup to Manuel Zelaya Rosales, also date from which have been committed many outrages against people who have spoken out against the coup government.
"These violations included deaths resulting from excessive use of force, arbitrary arrests by police and armed forces, the indiscriminate and unnecessary use of tear gas, detainee abuse, violence against women, harassment of activists, journalists , lawyers and judges, "he asserted.
They added that "we talk to people who still have eye irritation and skin burns even several weeks after being hit by tear gas," said Javier Zuniga. "Not only the police used tear gas against peaceful demonstrations and closed buildings, doctors were not given information about the chemicals used in the cans so they would know how to treat victims appropriately."
Members of the army involved in serious violations of Human Rights
The organization found that military members assigned to security tasks were involved in serious human rights violations such as deaths resulting from excessive use of force, arbitrary arrests and illegal searches.
The delegation also found that de facto civilian authorities did nothing to prevent the indiscriminate use of tear gas against demonstrators. In some cases, gas grenades were thrown into office.
According to AI, most people interviewed said that after having been injured or fallen ill from the gas, were too afraid to seek medical help as the police and the military went into hospitals to intimidate them.
Amnesty International called on the future Honduran authorities to:
To repeal all legislation, decrees and executive orders issued by the de facto authorities, directly or indirectly affecting human rights.
• To secure that the military return to their barracks and that it terminates its role in police operations.
• To secure that all members of the security forces accountable for human rights abuses committed between 28 June and late November. Develop a National Plan for the protection of human rights.
Amnesty International also issued statements that made his visit to Honduras:
"MARTHA"
Marta was out of the Embassy of Brazil on 22 September.
"It was horrible. For me September 22 is one of the worst days of my life. I could not imagine how they could do much damage no matter the elderly, children, women ...
We went to the embassy, and had reached the UN. Bombs began to fly and began to give to their clubs. They began to attack, do anything. One man was pulled away a child - the father and the child ran out 11 years stay in the smoke, I and others help the child and take it out. The boy saw the father, he too was full of smoke.
When we were from the Brazilian Embassy a soldier hit me with a plank with nails - wide - on the back. I still have the scar. He broke his head. I wanted to run because I had beaten when they start throwing tear gas bombs.
A tear gas canister hit in the leg Marta:
"I started to feel the quemón leg, burned, burned me enough, I had shorts so I fell directly on the skin. It was a pump with a swab, but not round cylindrical.
Another colleague said 'let's go to the center "we thought it was not going to happen there. We went into a church, and I sit about 20 minutes, still full of smoke, I felt very bad, super bad, just could not breathe, had no water, there was nothing. After about 25 minutes of being there came members of the police. I do so [very strong patting on the back] and say 'you guerrilla teacher'. I see a nightstick and [the police picked up the nightstick over his head to hit], I got my hand ... the first did not hurt as much as the second, the second I felt I was dying.
Both blows fell on the elbow of Martha, which was fractured in the attack. Marta church escaped and ran to a park.
"I was on the bench almost expired, I could not breathe, my arm was super bad. Some women in the corner would help me, took me and gave me first aid, they had me lying half hour. Went home, went to the hospital not because she was afraid that I metieran prey. I had incredible pain and fever. Finally I went to the hospital and told me I had a fracture. This arm is not right now.
The problem with the tear gas was breathing - I no longer have my voice, I have very upset. All the streets were full of smoke that day in my life I had never seen so much smoke and tear gas. Threw them everywhere, regardless. Some were burned away, other heads, a woman burned her face ... "
FRANCISCA
Francisca is 16 years and was detained along with his father in the colony.
"I went to the grocery store when I saw the police with my dad. It was there and asked why they were carrying and one of the policemen said 'you're too unruly, get'. They pushed me into the pailita [police car], and my glasses fell off. Did not let me look.
When we were in the jail I said I was underage but one of the policemen told me it was more likely to leave a lady older than me because I was underage and unruly.
There were nine women in a very small cell. The cell was dirty. One woman wanted to go to the bathroom but not the left, had to do it in the corner of the jail. "
An officer took a piece of toilet paper and poured a chemical on it, before setting him ablaze. The gas entered the cell out.
"When we threw the gas was burning my throat, gave me a dry cough and my eyes were burning a lot. There was another of those arrested and she had red eyes, red like blood for more than three days ...
We were not told because we took and we saw when we entered the police post - we only saw the start, because the NGOs were ".
MATIAS
Matthias has 20 years and is one of those who decided to march outside the Brazilian Embassy on September 22.
"Around 5 am arrived [security forces] to suppress the demonstration. They came without warning, threw tear gas to 10 or 20 yards from us, everyone started running. I burned the eyes, throat, she had bloody nose and a half I faint. We walked to the Boulevard, near the stadium. This was around 9 or 10 o'clock.
Suddenly cops threw me to the floor and shouted 'You, you're a revolutionary, you're like Che Guevara! ". I Thole [hit], they put a bag over his head and stuck a gun. I hear someone say, 'Leave him! Now come the journalists'.
I got into the police car. The police stole my phone. At noon they let us go. The Red Cross took me to the Hospital Escuela. I was left on the floor - I felt like I was suffocating.Someone pulled me water, I passed out about five times until my mom came and took me to a private clinic. I was vomiting for two days, and could not go to work for 15 days. He had a leg infection. The doctor told me that if [the police] had beaten me once more would have lost his foot '.

No comments:

Post a Comment