Thursday, October 22, 2009

HRN Fired Journalist Who Fought To Defend Freedom Of Expression


HRN Fired Journalist Who Fought To Defend Freedom Of ExpressionPDFPrintE-mail
Written by Revistazo, com
Wednesday, 21 October 2009 14:03
This is the prominent journalist Osmar Danilo Castellanos, who after working for nearly 15 years in HRN, was dismissed because of his unwavering conviction to avoid censorship to freedom of expression. His posture and the support received in the coverage of the coup to various international media, sparked criticism folding work and gadgets.
imagesTegucigalpa Honduras .- The hunger strike by prosecutors in April 2008 and the coup on 28 June, were the two episodes that placed him with a greater presence in the "look" of the owners and senior executives of HRN.
Castellanos is a renowned journalist who despite having worked for a station that maintains clear commitments to public officials, politicians and businessmen, fought until the last moment to remain intact.
A transmission made in support of Radio Globo, weeks ago, about the confrontation that was elicited among elements of the army, police and members of the National Resistance, was "the straw that broke the camel's back and it cost him their employment.
"I did it because as a Honduran and a journalist myself, I felt the need to report what was happening, they were hitting people, capturing people and no one was reporting what was happening at that moment," he said.
Osmar, as he is affectionately known in the journalists' union, gave an interview to Revistazo.com and tells of the ordeals they had to sail in HRN not to betray his principles or his freedom of expression subject to the interests of others.
I close the program "Voices and songs of Honduras!
The critical coverage, analysis and questioning of prosecutors authorities during the strike that underwent 4 tax in April 2008, with hundreds of representatives of organizations and individuals Hondurans, earned him the closure of its "Voices and songs of Honduras .
"It provides ample space for those who staged the strike to Hondurans who supported him and in general, the movement that was conceived in this struggle was the only journalist who tried to give HRN coverage different," said .
However this medium told Marcia interference Villeda Facussé at the end. "I can not believe what I hear, I'm listening HRN, hear me, can not be what I am hearing," is reminiscent of what a phone call Marcia Villeda which he called on the critics who performed the former Attorney General of Public Prosecutions, Leonidas Rosa Bautista through your program.
Days later, was ordered in order of Rodolfo Caraccioli, Deputy Manager of the radio home for the complete closure of that program. "He would be 11 years of being outside seating providing a cultural space, media coverage of art, folklore, artists, cultural festivals and people felt that to the few spaces that gave the hunger strike by prosecutors, I must support them, "emphasizes the reporter.
Coup
For the HRN and journalists who disagree that the failure occurred on June 28 was a "constitutional succession" as they call in the station to the coup, the coverage of this issue is a headache.
"When the coup occurred, I was 4 to 5 days without transmitting things I wanted to inform the marches and could not.
Clearly I could not be said to cover it, "says Castellanos.Comenta they were ordered not to cover the march of resistance. "But on one occasion was among hundreds of people reporting and saying that he was demanding the return of Zelaya to power and the call hung me in the middle of transmission."
Prohibit its live broadcasts
Osmar said he tried every means to convey information about the coup, the manifestations of the repression and so on.
But all in vain. "I asked that all my pre-recorded broadcasts, things that seemed odd to me that a colleague has confirmed that at higher orders, had forbidden me to report live and that everything should be recorded prior to transmission "he says.
He claims that in the mean time, claimed the lack of freedom to their heads and respect for freedom of expression. "Yet I never self-censorship, I knew I was exposing but I can not betray, nor betray my people."
Transmission to Radio Globo
Although he reported that he had taken the decision to remove him from office due to a "reorganization," the journalist is aware that this was only a pretext to rid of him.
"I asked Caraccioli tell me the real reason for my dismissal and said the end of a long conversation that yes, it was due to transfers to companies like I did Guatevisión, media in Peru and Argentina and Honduras, for Radio Globo that I did once, "he says.
He adds that the transmission always stressed that freedom of expression was being violated in Honduras, which had only just two to three media that reported what actually was happening. "That episode was the final kick of Castellanos to accelerate his departure from that medium.
A book of stories could be written of this period long before the hunger strike and the coup, had to ride the obstacles that were imposed when their names were mentioned reports of officials, businessmen and politicians "muddy" in acts at odds with the law and justice.
"If my pen has no price can be a journalist, if my thoughts and decisions are handled by another, I can not boast of being a journalist," he said at the end of the interview the reporter.

No comments:

Post a Comment