Monday, May 17, 2010

Human Rights Ombudsman in Honduras denounces persecution and stalking

voselsoberano.com | Monday May 17, 2010 12:12

  I, Leonel Casco Gutierrez, Honduran, married, Human Rights Ombudsman in Honduras, ID 1807-1960-01412, residing in the neighborhood Reparto por Bajo, Santa Elena Street, Casa 2308, Tel. 222-66-62. 222-66-62. cel.  9892-6935 and currently serving as National Coordinator of the Ecumenical Centre for Human Rights in Honduras, of the Latin American Council of Churches (OEDHCLAI), hereby appear before the CODEH, calling for protection for myself and family, fearing of suffering an attack or serious damage against my integrity or personal life, in consideration of the complaint on the following facts.

FIRST: I have been over 30 years working for the defense and protection of human rights in my country, since 1979, as a member of the Committee on Justice and Peace of the Catholic Parish of Olanchito, Yoro, from 1982 to 1990 as a volunteer member and official of CODEH 1991 to 2007, as an educator and attorney of COFADEH, Legal  Adviser to ADROH, Executive Director of the CTN and since November of 2009, as Coordinator of the Centre of Churches CLAI for Human Rights in Honduras, as a response of the global ecumenical movement before the serious human rights violations generated by the military coup against the Honduran people bonded in the People's National Resistance Front.

SECOND: It turns out that on Thursday, May 13 at about 4:10 pm, after leaving with my car  the premises of the Theological Community of Honduras (CTEH), located in Colonia La Era,  main street  leading to Cantico Nuevo Church, where we completed a training session over the course of Theology "GOD BEFORE THE COUP D'ETAT" with theology students and pastors in Resistance, having travelled about 30 meters towards the exit to the Beltway, I noticed that two men on a motorcycle followed me, so I chose to slow down for them to pass. When I  reached the entrance of the beltway, towards the storage houses of  DECORA, I stopped for them to pass, but they  stayed about 20 meters away with the motorcycle parked. When I saw that they wouldn't pass, I  entered the ring road  route to Valle de Angeles, and they followed me. Through the rearview mirror I noticed  that both were wearing green spotted shirts, faded, like those sold in the markets, each with its own helmet and something like a backpack. During the way, I accelerated the speed and then contained it, so that they   did pass just like other vehicles did, always circling behind my car.

THIRD: Near Colonia San Miguel on the right, there was a police operation with two detained cars, so I drove very slowly, to  identify them better and was alert of the police making me pull over and park. As I passed  the operation I had to make a decision, either go straight or take the exit to the Colonia San Miguel, for which I  made a simulation choosing the latter, so they followed me. When I reached the second street entrance to the San Miguel, I saw a policeman was in front of the Preventive so I parked before driving around the corner, so they passed and to my surprise they were  parked about 20 meters behind my car and after they saw that I did not move, they turned around, returning to the same street. At no time did  I notice that they were carrying weapons in hand, but I  did worry about the abnormal attitude of following me.

FOURTH: As soon as I saw they had returned, I  carefully followed the route to the Colonia San Miguel, then La Esperanza and Morazan Boulevard until  reaching colonia Palmira, at the  headquarters of the cinephilia cafeteria, where I was invited by the Ebert Foundation for the display of the edited documentary by Oscar Estrada on the slaughter of El Porvenir, Atlántida.

QUINTO: I think that the previous action of surveillance and persecution, maybe were meant to intimidate and check the route I use for my normal shift after working hours in the Ecumenical Centre for Human Rights, which has forced me to take my precautions and personal and family security, given that since the coup occurred to date, I had never checked or detected surveillance on me, considering that this event occurs after  I  published an article on May 11, on the 29 year anniversary of CODEH, where I point out some members of the 3-16,  which may be a message or retaliation.

SIXTH: In terms of preventing aggression or attack against me, as has happened with other compatriots, who have been killed after suspected acts of surveillance, persecution, and even of strange and special assaults, as the one carried out  in the home of the Administrative Rector of the  Theological Community of Honduras (CTEH) Noemí  Madrid de Espinoza some days ago, still in the process of police investigation, with all due respect, I authorize and request the CODEH to ask  the Honorable Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR) and other competent organizations for , interim measures of protection for myself and my family. (Wife Nelly Esperanza Zuniga Zuniga (47), sons Roger Eduardo Casco Zuniga (19) Leonely Sarahi Casco Zuniga (15) and my nephew Oswald Anthony Zuniga Caballero(15).
Tegucigalpa, May 14, 2010.


Leonel Casco Gutiérrez 
Human Rights Ombudsman
Coordinador Observatorio Ecuménico DDHH del CLAI. 


No comments:

Post a Comment