Saturday, January 2, 2010

Rafael Cáceres receives death threats by unknown persons on his phone, for this Christmas



E-mailPrintPDF



"At first I thought it was  a hoax and  that they were low-level threats that had no rationale, but on December 20th   I got sent two mensajitos announcing my death for this Christmas," complained Rafael Cáceres, Assistant Director of the National School of Fine Arts and former candidate for deputy from Francisco Morazán Democratic Unification Party, UD.
The death threats via cell phone have become the main tool of the dictatorship's dirty work. These hold in suspense the lives of several people who have the fear that at any time they will  no longer live in this world.

As time passed   the situation got worse and  I manage my life now more aware of my tasks, it made me raise a lot of suspicion and concern, said Caceres. 

He reported that since August the threats began, "but I took no importance to the election day they sent me two more which were already death threats".

On December 20th he was sent two of whom told him the place  where he always passes by  will be the one where the attempt on his life on December 24th would take place, " this day is the one I will die." In one of the messages they say, "not even your wife voted for you." That was  in reference to his wife who is a  resistance activist and he participated as a candidate for Congress in the illegitimate elections  de facto government held on  November 29th. 

But threats can be a follow-up of the  activities held at the National School of Fine Arts, where shirts were printed with messages of resistance even before the arrival of President Manuel Zelaya in September.

Cáceres participated in marches and said he  naively never thought they  could take photos and films of him to be   later harassed and threatened. "When I participated in the marches of the resistance it  was to speak on the impact of the coup from person to person," he recalled.
The Assistant Director of the National School of Fine Arts, said he was concerned about this situation "because they know I'm going to a place every day, my mood has broken me, I have no rest and I had to change my lifestyle and that affects my work and disrupts my life. "
I think it has to do with my job because there I can influence the students' thinking, but they might kill me to pretend to set a precedent so that other people are afraid, it makes me remain very concerned about my family, he said.
Given the gravity of the case,  COFADEH  has issued precautionary measures to him before the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights, IACHR.

No comments:

Post a Comment