Friday, March 26, 2010

Rebecca Becerra denounces more harassment


What you will never see reported on AP 

Just yesterday, a coup government official had to come to the Special Human Rights Court to testify in the case of harassing Rebeca Becerra and her daughter, and not even 24 hours afterwards, she is now denouncing once again that two men are persecuting her(before it was only one). Last week, she had already complained about the same.




Declaration regarding the case of writer Rebeca Becerra

by http://quotha.net/node/822
On Friday March 25th, Virgilio Paredes will have to appear before the Special Human Rights Court to testify in the case brought by Lic. Rebeca Becerra, fired from the Ministry of Culture, Arts and Sports (SCAD) days after the coup d'etat of June 28, 2009 and arrested along with her young daughter by order of Myrna Castro and Virgilio Paredes and transferred to the El Manchén police station, justifying her detention based on the argument that she had taken public SCAD documents when in fact Becerra was merely carrying out a simple administrative task.
Rebeca Becerra, a writer recognized throughout Latin America, and her family, have been subjected to harassment and death threats from that fateful day that changed the political face of the country, to this moment.
Virgilio Paredes is acting director of the Honduran Institute of Anthropology and History (IHAH) without complying with the academic requirements demanded by the internal regulations of IHAH that the director of the institute must be an historian, anthropologist and/or archaeologist. At the time the arrest of Becerra and her 6-year old daughter, Virgilio Paredes was working as de facto administrator in the Ministry of Culture, Arts and Sports.
In addition, Lic. Becerra has sued the ex-de facto minister Myrna Castro who any moment should have to appear before a judge herself.
Also scheduled to appear in court this Friday are Melba Bardales and Maura Castro, leaders of the Ministry's union who, instead of defending Becerra, accused her publicly in the media, including on Radio Globo, of having confiscated public documents, furthermore arguing in the defense of the de facto minister Myrna Castro.
The firing of Becerra was not justified and as such the crime can be classified as political persecution and not abuse of authority, as the Special Human Rights Court is attempting to frame it, since it was under conditions of a coup d'etat and the authorities were de facto. The letter of dismissal does not specify the reasons why Becerra should leave her position as General Director within the SCAD; Becerra furthermore was National Secretary of Culture for the Central American Educational and Cultural Committee (CECC), part of the System of Central American Integration (SICA) and was carrying out unprecedented work in the National Book and Documentation Department.
The Inter-American Commission for Human Rights is pressuring the State of Honduras to provide security for Becerra due to the situation of danger in which she and her two young daughters currently exist, subjected to harassment and psychological pressures; the human rights of these minors are being violated.
"I will not allow this injustice committed against me and my family to pass; if the Special Human Rights Court does not find in my favor, I will appeal my case to a higher level," stated Becerra. "I have been told to take security measures such as moving to a different city, hide in safe houses, and leave the country, but I am not a criminal who should have to flee and be exiled from the country I love, that has given me so much and within which I want to return to my cultural work. The criminals are others who should be brought to justice; the criminals are those who perpetrated a coup d'etat and who have subjected us to a state of terror and criminality never before seen in the country; the criminals are occupying public offices and we must be able to point them out without fear.
We didn't go into exile in the 1980s when my family (parents and brothers and sisters) were subjected to death threats, psychological harassment, and physical aggression with the disappearance of my brother Eduardo Becerra Lanza, and I won't do it now."
The Special Human Rights Court has offered Becerra security by providing police or national army protection, but Becerra laughs at the offer, responding "They are the enemy of the Honduran people, the ones who tortured and murdered my brother Eduardo Becerra Lanza, the ones who disappeared and tortured my father, those who when we were children shoved their rifles into our chests and stomachs. To accept something that low would be to betray the memory of my dead, to betray the fight of my mother and my whole family, and to betray the fight of the Honduran people, the resistance. It would be to allow the assassin to wash his hands of the crime."


Rebecca Becerra denounces once again recent harassment 

Today Friday, March 26 at about 3:30 am two men in hats and dark clothing, tried to enter the building where I live with my daughters. Neighbors said they were in the empty lot adjacent to the apartment building at night.
Due to my state of tension and vigilance during the night I decided to take a pill to rest and fell asleep until I heard screaming when one of the neighbors  saw them in the previously mentioned empty lot.
Usually I've been watched by an individual but the situation is worse because this time they were  two, their intent is to be deduced in the most logical way.
I hold responsible the government of Mr. Pepe Lobo, the Ministry of Security and the ones involved in my case for what may happen to me and my daughters.
The complaint shall be made within the Committee of Relatives of Detained and Disappeared of Honduras today COFADEH in a few hours.
Attentively
BECERRA REBECCA
Tegucigalpa March 26, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment